In Georgia, the mention of autumn conjures memories of apple picking in Ellijay, cheering on the Dawgs (or Yellow Jackets…), scouting out peak colors near Mount Yonah, boiled peanuts from roadside stands, corn mazes at Jaemore, and backyard bonfires with dear friends and family. At the end of all these wonderful, fall-fueled adventures, we come home to our cozy house knowing that it will protect us from the impending damp, gray winters.
Our southern homes take quite the beating throughout the year; from scorching summers to sopping wet winter months, our homes undergo a variety of changes both to the exterior and interiors. We owe our homes some seasonal TLC.
We’ve put together a checklist for you to ensure your home will be perfectly prepared for the chillier days to come.
Georgia Autumn Home Maintenance
Home Fall Checklist
- Roof. Inspect roof surface, eaves and sofits; repair as needed.
- Gutters and downspouts. Clean out; inspect and repair weak points; check for proper drainage and repair if needed.
- Chimney and stovepipe. Clean flue (more frequently if needed); repair any cracks in flue or any loose or crumbling mortar.
- Siding. Inspect and clean siding and repair if needed.
- Exterior caulking. Inspect caulking and replace any that is deteriorating.
- Storm windows and doors. Replace any cracked or broken glass; tighten or repair any loose or damaged frames and repaint if needed; replace damaged hardware; tighten and lubricate door hinges and closers.
- Window and door weather stripping. Inspect and repair or replace if it is deteriorating or if it does not seal.
- Heating System. Have it professionally serviced.
- Fire Extinguisher. Check that it's fully charged; recharge or replace if needed.
- Smoke Alarm. Test batteries and replace if needed.
- Sink and tub stoppers and drain holes. Clean out debris.
- Garbage disposer. Flush with hot water and baking soda.
- Hydronic-heating system. Check pressure gauge and drain expansion tank if needed.
- Forced-air heating system. Clean or replace air filter; vacuum registers.
- Heat pump. Clean or replace air filter; clean condenser or evaporator coils and condensate drain; remove snow and/or debris from outdoor portion of unit.
- Air conditioning system. Clean or replace filter; clean condenser and evaporator coils and condensate drain.